Houston Taxi Accident Lawyer
Whether you regularly use taxis for transportation or occasionally need a ride home, you expect a safe and secure experience. Unfortunately, those rides do not always go according to plan. If you are injured in an accident involving a taxi, you may have questions about liability and state laws. At the Nielsen Law Firm, our team is dedicated to helping those who suffer serious injuries secure the financial support necessary to recover.
Determining Liability in Taxi Accidents
Although taxis are usually passenger vehicles modified for commercial use, they still fall under the category of common carriers. Common carriers must use a higher degree of care when operating vehicles on the roadways. However, taxi drivers are not the only ones who may shoulder liability after a taxi accident.
Taxi drivers often operate as part of a larger transportation organization. Employers are responsible for training drivers, maintaining credentials, and maintaining equipment. In certain cases, we may pursue a taxi company and its insurer to secure adequate compensation after an accident. Only a complete investigation will uncover the factors determining liability in a case. In addition to the driver and the driver’s employer, we may pursue action against:
- An auto manufacturer who distributes defective parts
- Other drivers who cause accidents
- Road construction crews who fail to follow the industry standard of care
As a passenger, pedestrian, or another driver struck by a taxi, you have the right to pursue action against those responsible. Do not accept a settlement from an insurance company after a taxi accident until you speak with an experience personal injury attorney. Many initial settlement offerings are starting points for negotiation and not the best offer you can obtain.
Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Taxi Passenger
Taxi drivers should have adequate training and pay close attention to the task at hand as they work, but many do not. As a passenger, you do not have to put up with reckless taxi driving or anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. Consider these safety tips for riding in a taxi:
- Wear your seatbelt. Some passengers assume that they do not need to wear a seatbelt during a taxi ride. If you are in a vehicle equipped with seatbelts, wear one.
- Voice your concerns. If your taxi driver engages in reckless or careless driving activities, ask him or her to engage in safer driving behaviors.
- Get out quickly. If you notice your driver is behaving as if he or she is intoxicated, get out of the vehicle as quickly and safely as possible. Ask the driver to pull over immediately, and then call to report the driver.
- Report unsafe taxi drivers. Contact the taxi company and/or the City of Houston regarding any concerns you have about taxi driver safety.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim after a Taxi Accident
After an accident, you may have some concerns about your ability to meet your financial obligations and medical expenses. Your attorney will play an instrumental role in helping you understand and fight for your right to a fair settlement. The court may award damages in a taxi accident claim to cover the cost of:
- Current and future medical care
- Lost wages and future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Funeral expenses and loss of companionship/support/guidance (in wrongful death claims)
When you contact the Nielsen Law Firm for your free initial consultation, we will help you determine if filing a claim is the right move. After we accept your case, we begin a relentless search for the truth as you focus on recovery. You deserve an opportunity to rest and heal in peace as we push forward with your case.
To learn more about our approach to taxi accident cases, reach out to our office in Houston, Texas.